Sunday, February 27, 2011

Shelfari---Motivate your students to read by creating personal libraries for each student

 Shelfari is a wonderful website where students and teachers can create/share their own personal library of books, write reviews about them, access other students' bookshelves, join groups to discuss books, and access discussions that people have read about books you're interested in.  You can organize your bookshelf according to books you've read, are currently reading, and want to read.  Students no longer need to keep a hard copy of the books they've, instead they import them into their shelfari bookshelf and can then print out their list.  What a wonderful way to motivate and engage your students in reading!  If you have any questions ask me.
I just started my shelfari bookshelf and you can see it on the right side bar of my blog page.  My current bookshelf is more of a professional development library.  It would be great for literacy coaches and curriculum directors to create a Shelfari Prof. Development Library for their teachers to access and discuss books.  I plan to create another bookshelf where I upload books for children and write personal reviews for my students to access.
If any of you are using shelfari please share any insights you might have in incorporating it into the classroom and leave your shelf name to add to my list of friends.
Check out the shelfari blog

2 comments:

  1. Great idea. The kids love seeing the books we read posted in the classroom so I created a bookshelf for the class on Shelfari. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to put it on my Google site. It doesn't seem to support it. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you go to Profile and Account settings you can set up your username to create a public shelfari web address. To try and post your shelf--go under "Your Content" and click on "Widgets". You should be able to copy and paste the HTML code into your google site. That is what I did for my blog.

    ReplyDelete